Friday 4 March 2011

Day 7/8

Well today is rest day after 7 days of riding, there was some administrative problem with my blog yesterday so I was unable to post anything, sorry about that. Since my last posting we have made 2 donations, 1 in Grahamstown to Hosipce and then yesterday to Missiondale care center in Port Elizabeth. This care center was set up by a Missionary, Sister Ethel Normoyle 23 years ago and is dedicated to uplifting the lives of the people of Missiondale. She has done amazing work in teaching people skills to enable them to get work and support their families. I reckon her greatest attribute is persuading you to part with your money to help her care center. Her unselfishness and dedication to her cause reminds me our my own Grandmother who spend much of her life helping others in need.
On Wednesday night we enjoyed a good meal at the Rat and Parrot in Grahamstown and it was great to have a beer with my nephew Matthew who is at University there.

5am yesterday morning we began our ride from Grahamstown to Port Elizabeth, a beautiful warm early morning climbing slowly out of Grahamstowm huddled in a bunch with our head and tail lights indicating our progress. The sun rose 30 minutes later as we were climbing the first of many hills for the day. As both Vaughan and Caitlin were at university in Grahamstown I considered myself an authority and subject matter expert on the area and announced on numerous occasions the night before and during the morning preparation that after a short climb outside Grahamstown the route was either flat or downhill to Port Elizabeth. How wrong I was, in the past I have driven the route in a car and have not noticed the many hills en route to Port Elizabeth, hills that are insignificant in a car are major on a bicycle. After the 3rd or 4th steep climb the chirping from the rest of the group started and for the rest of the day I took a tremendious amount of flak. I had discussed the route previously with my son Vaughan and he was of the same opinion as me about the ride but as it turned out it was one of the hardest rides we have done. I am still due a big fine for my innaccurate information and expect to have to drink something aweful at dinner tonight.
Anyway after 5 hours riding and 122km we arrived at the Engen service station in Port Elizabeth.
So our stats so far are
745km complete
31.5 hours on the road
37,500 calories burnt
10,000 meters climbed in total.
We are now back on the coast and will pretty much stick to it all the way to Cape Town
As today is rest day, everyone is attending to chores and catching with emails, organising washing, cleaning bikes etc. A couple of the bikes at at the local repair shop getting little problems sorted out, so far my bike has been great, lets hope that continues to Cape Town.
Last night we had dinner in the Greek community center next to their beautiful church in Port Elizabeth. One of the riders is Greek and organised the dinner for us, it was interesting to see how they work to hold their community together. All the plans to go out for a couple of drinks afterwards quickly faded as everyone realised how exhausted they were, so after a soft serve ice cream at the local Engen service station we headed for bed. This morning I was able to have the greasy breakfast I was after, unfortunately no where near as good as the home cooked one, no matter thats something I can look for to when we arrive in Cape Town.
We off to pick Robert, Dons brother at the airport, he is joining us for there remainder of the ride.

1 comment:

  1. Charles, I hear you about hills that you don't notice in the car but that are a killer on the bike.

    Good to hear that Robert got there on schedule from the US.

    Enjoy your day of rest.

    PJ

    ReplyDelete