Tuesday 8 March 2011

Day 12, two to go

Cycling is a sport that is affected by many variables, bike problems, road conditions, weather especially wind and for us now, fatigue. We woke up quite chirpy this morning, an easy 87km ahead, an early finish and relaxing afternoon. Well that was not to be, firstly the first 50km was a series of dips and steeps hills, one after the next so it was very difficult to get into any sort of rhythm. Then came the wind, the dreaded Cape South Easter which was head on to us. So the easy 87km'er turning into a nightmare ride for us all and we arrived in Agulhus battered by the wind after nearly 4 hours in the saddle. After the usual routine of shower, washing and snooze my spirits did lift again and I went for a fantastic walk To the point and sat on a rock watched the sea at the Southern most tip of Africa. Very soon my energy returned and attitude changed and I took a bit of time to reflect over the last 12 days. It has been an amazing experience for me but probably something I would never do again. I need to try and put my thoughts and feelings down on paper but I really do not believe I will be able to capture the experience. Probably the biggest impact on me is the Experience of the donations and really understanding that there is so much not right in our country, we have such a beautiful country and modern infrastructure but we are neglecting our people and the most distressing part is that it is the children that are suffering the most.
Tomorrow morning I will try and write more, it is late now and who knows what tomorrow will throw at us.

No comments:

Post a Comment