Wednesday 2 March 2011

Day 6
We had a fantastic ride today, 110km from Aliwal North to Queenstown. We rode on a national road so the road condition was good. We climbed for the first 45km and then had a series of great downhills and flat roads so finished the ride in under 4 hours. We donated R10,000 to a local old age home in Queenstown and enjoyed chicken pieces and sandwiches provided by the Service Station Owner. We then packed up the bikes and are now driving to Grahamstown to make another donation and sleep the night. Then it is a 115km ride to Port Elizabeth and a day off on Friday, what bliss. I will need to find a Dentist as I broke a crown on one of my back teeth. This seems to be a standard occurrence whenever I am riding my bike in a major event, two years ago I lost one of my front teeth trying to open an energy bar while riding the Argus Cycle race.
I am also looking forward to a good greasy breakfast, we leave early in the morning so breakfast is not an option. We stop for something to eat after riding 50 or so km, my standard meal is a peanut and honey sandwich and a mug of tea. For the rest of the day it's energy bars, expensive replenishment drinks and the odd sandwich at the donation handover.

Well we almost at Grahamstown, it's 42 degrees outside and we are very happy to be driving in a car and not cycling. Don and I have a massage booked, looking forward to that.

4 comments:

  1. Great effort Charles, will follow your progress wth interest and envy. Rgds Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. its hard to imagine that you started almost a week ago far north and have travelled so far. Great goinf. I did my last ride this morning before joining up with you in PE. 42 degrees!!! i started in -5 degrees and 2 hours later its now 0 degrees. looking forward to some warmer riding weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOunds like hard work :) ENjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Charles. Second message I'm sending. First one got lost due to IT incompetence. SOOOOO amazed at what you doing and even more blown away by how thin you are. Didn't recognise you at first but then spotted the steel wool and knew it was you. What an experience and very proud of what you are doing. Keep going even though you must be 'gatvol'. HAHA
    With love, Lynn Toddbus. xxx

    ReplyDelete