Monday 28 February 2011

Day 4, we making progress.
Each night we stay at local Bed and breakfasts in the town where we complete our ride. I share a room with my cousin, Don Voysey, the guy that got me into this thing. Although we were big mates when we were young we kind of drifted apart as the years went past and only met up again 2 years ago at My mother's 80th birthday. On that day 11 of the extended family agreed to ride the Argus Cycle Tour in Cape Town in 2010. So my brothers and my son, Donald's brothers and his Dad and another cousin all completed the race that year. After the race Don told us about this ride from Empangeni to Cape Town each year organised by the local Rotary Club and in a moment of madness we made a pact to do it. Robert, Don's elder brother, will join us in Port Elizabeth and ride the last 600km with us. I have not shared a hotel room with anyone but my wife Shona for many years and it is really amusing to see how Don and I co-exist. To be very honest Don is worse off because I cannot live out of bags and am not able to keep my things tidy. Also I tend to lose stuff so Don spends much of his time helping me locate the missing items.


Anyway back to the ride today. Our routine is now established, up at 4.30am, start cycling at 5.30, ride for 5 to 6 hours, make some donations, arrive at our over night stop, wash our clothes, fill our bottles for the next day, rest for an hour or 2, go to dinner, in bed by 8.30pm and finally doing my blog. Today we rode 135km, 5 and a half hours. not as tough as yesterday as the hills were less steep. The countryside was as magnificient as before and the sun was soon doing it's bit to sap our energy. Last night I was convinced I would be in no physical state to ride but with a good nights sleep the body had recovered enough to get me going. So our stats so far are.
Distance - 430km
Time on the road - 18 hours 45 minutes
Calories burnt - 21,850
Tomorrow we ride 115km and make 1 donation.

2 comments:

  1. ha ha Don.. playing me.... ask him if he needs some coping tips :-) Love you so.... have fab day today xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles, great effort so far. Amazing stuff. Keep at it. What's this about not sharing rooms with anyone other than Shona? Did you forget about the boat trip.... btw, you missed a great knock from Straussy at the weekend! Sachin who..... All the best Andrew.

    ReplyDelete