Thursday 24 February 2011

Day 2 - my car trip to the start

1 day to go until we on the road.
I woke up this morning with big expectations, a nice quiet drive from Johannesburg to Empangeni in time for the opening speech and a ceremonial ride around the town. I didn't factor in 250km oF road works and lengthly delays where only single lane traffic was allowed. I would think it would be logical to fix 20km of road at a time instead of ploughing up 250km but I clearly do not understand the finer process of road repair. Anyway all this resulted in me arriving 20 minutes late and missing all the formalities. This was no big issue as I was still able to meet some of the other cyclists and introduce myself. Tonight we celebrated my cousin Donald's 50th, a quiet affair as both of us are rather nervous about the big day tomorrow.
Final bike adjustments are done, juice bottles filled and gear all laid out. My cycle shirt is a little small but should fit in 14 days time. We have to be at the start at 50am so the alarm is set for 4.
I am really looking forward to posting my first big day tomorrow, hopefully complete with some good action pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment